Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mommy's Making Breakfast, Everything Frittata

There's nothing better then going back to the home that raised me and smelling Sunday morning breakfast.  Being the late riser that I am, even in the dead of sleep I will rise and summon myself to the kitchen counter.  The delectable smells take my nostrils and before I know it I am up before 10 with a cup of coffee reading the newspaper occasionally stealing uncooked morsels from the chef.

My breakfast now a days consists of cereal, fruit or granola (boring) but if my mothers cooking on a Sunday morning I feel compelled to load up my plate only to feel like I need to take a nap after.  The lingering smells of syrupy sweetness and perfectly prepared eggs are only a few reasons why I love breakfast.  I may live in Manhattan now but I swear on some of my less then perfect days, I retreat back to the memories of coffee brewing and my siblings sleepy eyes bringing themselves to breakfast. 

My Mother's Everything but the Kitchen Sink Frittata:

-Saute assorted chopped veggies in olive oil (onion,celery, green and red peppers,broccoli,carrots, mushrooms,zucchini, green beans or any other vegetable you like.
-Add salt and pepper to taste and any fresh or dried herbs you like.
-In bowl, whisk up 8 eggs with small amount of water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Whisk in some shredded cheese. 

Pour eggs over pan of sauted veggies.
Cover and cook on low heat until eggs have set. About 15 to 20 minutes.
Add more shredded cheese on top if desired.

Take Mom's advice:
Make sure you have enough olive oil so things don't stick.    
Keep burner on low so eggs don't burn.            
Add a dash of love for gosh sakes (I added this one) 
Cut in wedges and enjoy!  

                   

No comments:

Post a Comment